[plug] [OT] Tape back-up

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Mar 3 21:16:18 WST 2004

Okay,

Seems I sent the first one to PUG instead of PLUG.

This is what I should have sent first time:

Hello,

I had a call from a new customer today that needs some data recovered
off a backup tape. Now I have yet to actually be exposed to these
beyond loading them when told to by a bash script on A HPUX box at an
oil exploration company (and likely a completely different type of
tape).

So the first thing I'm going to ask is who actually *SELLS* these?

I looked through DMA and Anyware's list but could not find them.

Anyway the tape is a ~40gb DDS4 part no: HP - C57 18a ( think but if
there is a discrepancy it would be ether miscommunication over GSM or my
own handwriting)

So what are the deal with tape drives are there many different standards
or are they mostly the same?

Does anyone by chance have a drive I could borrow to save buying one?
Although I wouldn't mind buying one so I can learn how to use them. At
the moment I use either ext HD caddies via USB for backup but I have
seen sites that use ext HD via SCSI.

thanks,

Chris Caston
--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.