[plug] Access control for USB ports

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 3 23:42:32 WST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:11, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 22:04, Steve Boak wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for the variety of ideas - I should be able to work
> > something out for both Linux and Windows systems with the information
> > provided.
> >
> > BTW, the most novel idea I found googling around was to fill the unused
> > USB ports with Araldite...
>
> ... which, while amusing, would be totally ineffective unless you also
> glued the peripherals permanently into the motherboard - making moving
> the machine and replacing peripherals somewhat of a pain.
>
> The user can always unplug the keyboard, then using mouse only copy the
> files to/from the card, then plug the keyboard back in.
>
> It does provide a barrier, but it's also a right PITA for the admin. I'd
> definitely disable the drivers instead.
>
> Craig Ringer

Depends who I want to keep out. This is primarily aimed at casual internet
users of the Telecentre that I look after, where there is visual monitoring
by non-IT staff so preventing users from dismantling of the PCs should not be
a problem.

Not that I would actually consider the araldite version anyway. Sure as eggs,
someone would come up with an urgent need for the USB ports the day after I
had permanently disabled them :)

The admin with the pain would be *me*, and I'm allergic to pain.

Steve