[plug] kernel 2.6.3 production-ready?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 10:59:56 WST 2004

At 10:38 4/03/2004 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 05:20, Denis Brown wrote:
>
> > Despite all the Good Things (tm) said about LVM, I was not planning to use

<snip>

>expand, and have expanded, live mounted filesystems. It's very handy,
>and fuss-free.
>
>That said, the snapshot handling is the #1 reason I'm using it (despite
>the other features being the reason to choose to use it initially).
>
>LVM2's volume moves and clones look very handy, if I can ever get the
>darn thing working...

Ahhh... maybe I misunderstood.   So LVM is okay but LVM2 is the problem
child?   Given your environment I suspect that you've one of the
harder-working servers represented on this list so if anything is going to
break you should know about it.   My plan of attack then will likely be (a)
ACL-patch and use a 2.4 series kernel; (b) wait for 2.6 to get a few more
notches in its belt; (c) implement 2.6 and explore LVM benefits.   Dim-dark
future: explore LVM2, unless I win Lotto in the meantime :-)

Thanks for the comments,
Denis