[plug] power loss

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 4 16:24:32 WST 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 16:06, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Anyone else loose power just then (last 15 mins or so)? We were down for
> around five minutes, and I'm curious about how wide-spread it may have
> been. The UPS here died a while ago, and won't be replaced :-( so all
> our servers ended up being powercycled - what fun!

Not replacing a UPS? That's like not having an insurance policy.

I trust you have good backups and the facility to replace ciritcal
hardware within a couple of days.

A UPS doesn't just hold up mains power; it usually protects from
surges and other nasties.

BTW: When you do the BIOS and management processor upgrades on your
xSeries IBM, make sure that you power cycle it completely. i.e. when
it reboots after the firmware upgrade, yank out the power leads of
the running system and leave them out for 10 seconds or more before
plugging them back in. The PSU(s) need to be drained completely
before the system management processor resets properly. Else the
system comes up in an indeterminate state; the CPUs don't run.

That is especially important if you don't have a UPS and a power
glitch takes out the system for just a few seconds.

OTOH: It's probably not a good idea to do a firmware upgrade without
UPS anyway; because the system mainboard can become "junk" if a
flash process is interrupted.