[OT] Re: FTA and news media (was: Re: [plug] xbox)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 5 10:10:51 WST 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 09:29, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 22:50, James Devenish wrote:
> > Various negative impacts upon intellectual property (and other
> > nuances besides the better-known pharmaceutical and agricultural
> > trade issues) have been known for some time, so why is it that
> > media coverage continues to overlook these matters?

> Because it's "too hard" - most people hear "computer" related
> matters (in the broadest possible sense, including things like
> software patent law) and immediately switch off. Therefore, the
> media covers more "interesting" areas like farming. Did you forget
> that Australia is still an primary production nation, anyway :-P ?

If you look at the motivation for DMCA and the ownership of the
commercial broadcasters, it should be easy enough to come to the
conclusion that not publicisng that little gem plays right into
their hands. They get control of what, where, when and what you see
and hear, and how much money they can make from it.

And you have no choice. No means of critique.