[plug] Problem with software RAID

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Mar 6 22:05:33 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 21:46, Tim Bowden wrote:

> I am just helping out a friend with a broken ide software raid setup on
> a RH 9 box.  I would like to backup the hdd's as they are before I go
> playing with it.

Sensible.

> I can't tar -czvf /dev/hdc1 ./backup.tgz which is what
> I really want to do.

... because it just creates a tar file with a single device node in it,
yes?

> I can of course dd if=/dev/hdc1 but how do I get
> the output piped to a zip file?

Do you mean a zip file, or "a compressed image file"? I assume you mean
that latter, and if so, just `dd if=/dev/hdc1 | gzip > image.gz` . If
the former ...why?

What RAID format was in use - RAID0, RAID1, or RAID5? How is it broken?

Craig Ringer