[plug] Problem with software RAID

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Mar 7 09:27:05 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

| I just bought an 80gb Seagate but it's currently sitting in a PII with
| the 32gb clip (bios wouldn't detect it as 80 and it needs flashing but I
| loathe to do such things)

I have an 80gb Seagate in an old Cyrix machine with a similar BIOS
problem.  What you need to do is compile a kernel with
CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE enabled and put "hda=stroke" (or similar) on
your kernel command line.  This will convince the disk to reveal its
full capacity after having lied to the BIOS previously.  No flashing
involved. :-)

Cameron.