[plug] PLUG list archives are now in a private web area

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 7 09:49:17 WST 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 02:30, Ville Johansson wrote:
> > That said, I would _strongly_ prefer obfuscated addresses.
>
> That would be a lot more convenient and practical, yes. But the problem
> with obfuscated addresses is that spam bots are annoyingly clever
> regarding "de-obfuscation". Maybe there could be a compromise... for
> example every address could be hashed by MD5 and then you could cut and
> paste that string into a box to get the real address. It's not very
> practical either but at least every googler doesn't have to join the
> list.

Obfuscation can also be done by replacing each unique instance of an
address with a "blackhole" address. In order to extract the real
address, the user types the blackhole address, along with "human
information" into a box on the page, and is then either presented
with a graphic image of the real address; or has it emailed to them.

e.g. your "blackhole" address might be Ville.Johansson at plug.example.org

A prerequisite is that there be a secured database containing the
addressed and blackhole patterns.