[plug] Re: Talk for tonight.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Mar 10 00:10:52 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 22:54, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> Perhaps, but then again, the code has already been written once, why
> reinvent the wheel? :)

My only concern with using that sort of thing is that if you later need
to move to a different DB, you're making your porting job a _lot_
harder. I suspect it's worth it if you're fairly confidant your DB will
do the job for the foreseeable future, as the time savings from such
features, and the resulting simplified app code, can be impressive. Date
handling, anybody?

> > But when will MySQL support triggers ...
>
> >From http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ANSI_diff_Triggers.html ...
> whenever MySQL 5.1 gets released. MySQL 4.x brought the introduction
> of transactions (egads! :) - for a long time, transactions were a
> large reason behind using PostgreSQL.

Well, transactions, and subselects, and views, and triggers, and stored
procedures, and most of the rest of a serious database.

> The slides will be up sometime tomorrow after I can edit them and
> add a little more content (OO on my machine is having issues)
> Currently they're fairly meaningless without a narration :)

Thanks for that. Even as-is, they're likely to be awfully handy as a
memory aid - "need to look into using stored procedures better..." etc.

Craig Ringer