[plug] /sbin and static programs

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 10 22:13:07 WST 2004

In message <20040310135233.GU1193 at amidala.blackham.com.au>
on Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:52:33PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> From my experience, BSDs use /sbin for system binaries still, but
> more specifically, the contents of /bin and /sbin must be statically
> linked.

Yes, indeed.

> On my system, /bin appears to satisfy that criterion, but some /sbin
> binaries don't - namely cramfs utils, smb utils, netware utils, and
> vconfig (for vlans).

That separation of / and /usr certainly does crop up with the BSDs and
Linux. Comparatively, some commercial UNIX have an explicit set of paths
for static binaries and then deem /usr to be something essential. I
notice that Mac OS X has no such apparent convention, but then there
would be few Mac OS X users systems where /usr is on a separate
partition.