[plug] to install

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu Mar 11 20:36:24 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 20:08, David wrote:

> i would like to install the foweling think is dpkg i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb.

Yeap that command is what you need to use to install yahoo messanger on
a debian machine. The only thing I can see wrong here is that the
command should be 'dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb' (note the dash
before the i).

> when i download it it had some info and i print it off.
> i would like to now i have to log in as root and type the above think.
> then it say to install the application

Yes in order to install a debian package you need top be logged in as
root.

> can some one help me out pls

Well if you are run the above command (with the dash before the i) then
providing the ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb file you downloaded is in the
same directory as you are running the command from then you shouldn't
have any problems. (I'd say that this is most likely what is going on or
you haven't put the dash in the command).

Let us know how you go and post any error messages you get when you try
to run the above command as root.

> david

Michael Hunt