[plug] Timezones

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Mar 12 09:23:52 WST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:13:52AM +1100, chris.griffin at swiftdsl.com.au wrote:
> I probably should know this one but,
> I normally select the correct timezone during install, so I have not run
> into this.
> A system that someone else installed "seems" to be in the wrong timezone.
> I have checked everywhere I can think, all to no avail. It is further
> complicated by only having remote access to the box (cannot run X and use
> the gui tools, lazy, I know).
> Could someone please point me in the right direction to check/set the
> timezone correctly?

On debian, run tzconfig.  Redhat etc, I'm not sure (redhat-config-time
seems to require a display, but you could use X forwarding in an ssh
session, see ssh -X).

On most systems the timezone is a symlink

  /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth

So you could just adjust this symlink.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Life is a process, not a principle, a mystery to be lived, not a problem to
be solved.
- Gerard Straub, television producer and author (stolen from Frank Herbert??)