[plug] login to root

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Mar 12 13:29:45 WST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:18:02PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <20040312050652.GO1005 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
> on Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:06:52PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > sudo handles X authentication???
>
> $XAUTHORITY gets set to your existing cookie file. I'd never noticed
> that before, although I've always taken it for granted. Thanks to Craig
> for making that realisation 'click' in my head.

Not here:

  $ sudo sh -c 'echo $XAUTHORITY'

  $

However, $HOME is still set to /home/russells (not /root), so the
existing .Xauthority (cookie file) is accessible.

  $ sudo sh -c 'echo $HOME'
  /home/russells
  $

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
First law of debate:
	Never argue with a fool.  People might not know the difference.