[plug] Desktop linux question...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Mar 12 15:55:03 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 15:37, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Many of these can be solved by using Subversion or Arch.  (Joey Hess
> has moved to using Subversion; I use arch and some hacky shell scripts
> for large portions of my home directory.)

Personally, I find my needs to be satisfied well with 'rsync -rvz
--rsh=ssh' to sync a few directories, such as my evolution
tasks/calender (yeah, I'm turning into an outlook user - scary) and
'projects/' directory. Revision control seems to be overkill in the face
of regular backups and sensible synching. It's not really practical to
merge task and calendar information, for example, anyway - and without
that I see little advantage over simple periodic synchronisation runs.

If only evolution would support networked calendars etc, it'd just be a
few project and notes directories - trivial stuff. *sigh*.

Craig Ringer