[plug] Fw: error

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Mar 12 17:39:23 WST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:54:48 +0800 James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> In message <20040312165501.38d7a900.davidatt at conceptual.net.au>
> on Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 04:55:01PM +0800, David wrote:
> > i have a syntax error near unexpected token '<command>'
> > can someone help me out here.
>
> I don't think anyone can help you because you have not provided enough
> contextual information.

Hi David

You will have to tell us what you typed to get this error.

I have just read your other posts.

If you still haven't installed ymessenger then the way to do it is:

1. Open an xterm

2. After the user prompt ($), type:
   davidatt at cinnamon$ su <press Enter>
   Password: <put in the root password and press Enter>

3. You will now be root so you will have the # prompt
   Now you need to change to the directory that you
   saved ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
   If it was your davidatt home directory the command will be:
   cinnamon:/home/davidatt# cd  /home/davidatt <press Enter>

4. Check that the ymessenger download is there:
   # ls ymess*  <press Enter>
   should display:
   ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
   cinnamon:/home/davidatt#

5. If you are not in the right directory you will need to remember
   where you stored the ymessenger deb and use the cd command to get
   there. If you can't find it, the easiest way (for me to help) is to
   download it again and remember where you saved it.

6. As soon as you are in the directory that has ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
   type after the # prompt:
   cinnamon:/home/davidatt# dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb <press Enter>

7. This should install ymessenger.

8. To use ymessanger, you need to make your xterm not root so type:
   cinnamon:/home/davidatt# exit <press Enter>
   so you get:
   davidatt at cinnamon$

9. To run ymessenger type:
   davidatt at cinnamon$  ymessenger & <press Enter>

You will have to open an xterm and just do step 9 every time you want
to use ymessenger.

I don't know how to use ymessenger and it sounds like no-one else on the
list does either so you might need to read how to use it on the yahoo web
pages. Good luck with it.

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/