[plug] installed it

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Mar 12 21:28:23 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 21:12, David wrote:

> /opt/ymessenger/bin/ymessenger.bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /opt/ymessenger/bin/ymessenger.bin)

> what do i do pls?

ymessenger needs a newer version of a core component of your system. A
lot of work can be involved to upgrade your system; it's probably not
worth it. At this point, I would suggest that you look into gaim as an
alternative that will let you talk to people on Yahoo messenger.

GAIM is available in debian - "apt-get install gaim" as root should
install it, then you run it from an Xterm almost the same way you ran
ymessenger - you just run "gaim &". If you have problems connecting to
Yahoo's network, then you may need a newer version of GAIM.

There is a backport of GAIM on www.backports.org that should work if you
have trouble with the older one, but I don't know enough about that site
to provide detailed instructions on how to install it. Perhaps someone
else on PLUG could do so (*hint* Debian users *hint*).

Craig Ringer