[plug] Managing status email

Carl Gherardi cgherardi at iprimus.com.au
Sat Mar 13 23:49:14 WST 2004

Hey all,

At work we have many servers and services that mail status info for a
variety of things. The sheer number of these email is becoming
problematic, as i'm not paying every email the attention necessary and
missing errors occasionally for several days.

Many of these email are exactly the same day in and day out if there are
no errors, and i'm looking at ways to preprocess this mail into a report
format for viewing (eg. All 15 desktops report no configuration changes)

Most filtering software only deals with one mail at a time which is not
helpful in this situation. Procmail and perl will be able to solve it
over time, but some of the workarounds are a bit kludgey for my liking.

I'm interested if anyone else has tackled this problem and what
solutions or suggestions you may have.

Cheers

Carl