[plug] formatting utilities?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Mar 14 22:00:21 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 21:08, Brad Campbell wrote:
> John Knight wrote:
> > G'day all!
> >
> > What's the best formatting utility that I'm likely to have under most
> > distros that I can use to format a usb flashdrive into either FAT32 or
> > ext2? Currently it's using FAT16 and the bleeding filenames are
> > 8.3!!!!!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated before my hair
> > prematurely falls out at 19. ;)
>
> mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1
>
> apt-get install dosfstools

I've never tried formating a usb flashdrive with ext3 before but for
hardrives I would try:

mkfs.ext3 -b blocksize /dev/yourstoragedevice

It's a good idea to get out of the habit of using vfat because of it's
2gb file size limit.

> Brad
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.