[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Mon Mar 15 11:12:23 WST 2004

[..]

> My point is this:
>
> Heat is not your problem. I have set this up in Kununurra,
> Darwin and in
> the middle of Australia with absolutely no problems.
>
> Water is your problem.
>
> So, my advice, get a waterproof box, bolt the thing inside and forget
> about it.
>
> Hint: Make sure you can remove the lid so you can press the
> reset button
> if you stuff up the installing of new firmware or configure it to use
> DHCP to get an IP address you cannot get to... (or write down the MAC
> address before you seal the box)

QSL

> > A very sturdy mount should hopefully stop it having any
> hassles during
> > cyclones and unexpected squalls, then again, if a cyclone's
> coming we
> > could just un-mount it just after yellow alert has been
> issued and put
> > it up whe the cyclones gone.
>
> If the building is still there...

Rec centre is very sturdy, if that building is gone then I'd say most of the
town will be gone, too !

> > If I decide to go with the 900+ AP's I'll factor in two and
> give reasons
> > and see if the councillors understand the logic.
>
> You will need one for each location, so we're talking three plus one
> (that or, you can use a PC as a client, but that is not my
> recommendation).

I meant I'll factor in two for each location, we'll have a total of three
AP's once the depot moves in so maybe I'll ask for two spares, but I'll
definately put in for spare and give reasons.

> You also need to factor in that 802.11 doesn't like travelling up and
> down so much (depending on the antenna), so mounting them all at the
> same height is a good idea.
>
> You also can just start with three, put them on top of a shelf in the
> tree buildings - if they don't have too many walls between
> them and the
> angle of the signal through the wall isn't too acute
> (straight through a
> wall is *much* better than at an angle - imagine the wall looking 10
> times as thick on an angle)
>
> But then again, "What do I know?", I just build it and use it, so you
> can ignore anything I said.

"so you can ignore anything I said"
I don't know why you said that, your advice and experience is very usefull
and I'll keep it in mind.

There probably won't be any walls between the two antenna's.
The yagi antenna I'm looking at is http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=56,
it's got 18dBi, which probably measures to around 10 dBd, it's vertically
polarised which is good 'cause then it'll talk to BRAC's (Rec centre)
omnidirectional antenna better and they rate it at max 200 k/hr winds, which
I think is Category 3 cyclone wind speeds.