[plug] installed it

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Mar 16 03:38:09 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 01:55, David wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have some problam it did not install this is XMMS-mp3cud-0.94 this what it dun..
>
> it did not install what i want.. can i del this out of my hard drive at all...
>
> can i do that at all?

This message is a little longer than I planned, but you get that
sometimes...

I'm going to step carefully here, because removing things from your
hard-drive can have a large impact with little benefit.

Having said that, I recall that you are using a Debian machine, so I
shall continue as if that is the case - if my memory is wrong, please
ignore this advice... - you've been warned.

I am assuming that you installed XMMS-mp3cud-0.94 using apt-get. If this
is not the case, then you are on your own and I cannot help - but others
on the list may have some advice.

As a normal user - not as root - you can run the following command to
figure out what the actual name of the package is that was installed:

	dpkg -l 'xmms*' | grep ii

You'll get back a list that looks something like this:

        ii  xmms           1.2.9-1        Versatile X audio player that looks like Win
        ii  xmms-crossfade 0.3.4-1        XMMS Plugin for Crossfading / Continuous Out
        ii  xmms-mad       0.5.6-1        mp3 input plugin for xmms based on libmad
        ii  xmms-status-pl 1.0.0-1        Status panel applet for XMMS
        ii  xmms-volnorm   0.8.1-2        XMMS plugin that gives all songs the same vo

(This list is from my machine, your list will look different.)

In the future if you want to look for installed programmes, variations
on this command can be used to figure out what is installed. (More on
that below.)

Anyway, back to your question. If all worked as expected - you are
running Debian and you used apt-get to install the software, and the
software is actually installed - you should see an item in the list that
looks something like this:

        ii  xmms-mp3cud   0.0.0.0	Something with XMMS

You can then as root issue the following command:

        apt-get -remove xmms-mp3cud

Now a few notes:
      * I searched my own apt-get repository and I cannot find the
        package you refer to. I'm not sure if that is because you
        referred to the wrong package or not.
      * If hard-disk space is not a problem, then you can simply leave
        the package installed with no ill-effect.
      * If you are having a problem with the package, what is the
        problem, perhaps the fix is simpler than removing the package.
      * Removing packages can cause other issues - as another member of
        this list found when they tried to remove a package that removed
        a whole lot of essential things. (Hi - you know who you are :-)
      * The dpkg command can be used to find out a lot about what is
        installed in your machine. If you just were to type "dpkg -l"
        you'd get back a big list of many packages. Some of those are
        installed and some are not. The "grep ii" command filters out
        the packages that are installed.
      * The example command I supplied ("dpkg -l 'xmms*' | grep ii")
        would read in English: list all the packages that start with the
        letters "xmms" followed by anything "*" and show only those that
        are installed.

Hope this is of help to you.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..