[plug] CVS - difference upload

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Mar 16 17:16:17 WST 2004

Hi folks,

After many years of baulking at the idea, I've now seen the light and
embraced CVS as a means of tracking my source-code changes - and now I
don't really understand why I took so long...

When I tag a release I do an export to make a "live" version which I
then copy up to the remote hosting server with "scp -rC", but what
really irks is that I have to upload the whole lot every time and that
doesn't make sense.

So, how do I upload the things that have changed since the last tagged
release to the server, so I don't have to upload all the images that
haven't changed, the libraries that haven't etc.

You do probably need to know that I develop my applications in PHP, so
most of my stuff in CVS is plain text.

Please note, I don't want to do create a big patch file and upload that
and patch the hosting end because that assumes rather more tools than I
have available at the other end...

Any ideas / applications / solutions / gotchas or otherwise?

Cheers,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..