[plug] Motherboard/cpu suggestions

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Mar 16 22:20:45 WST 2004

Brad Campbell wrote:

| I'm currently trawling through the various hardware sites but I thought I'd
| post this here as someone might have such a thing and pipe up with "Oh yeah
| and it all works flawlessly with linux" unlike the nForce stuff.

!? What's wrong with the nforce stuff?  Seems to work for me.  Nvidia
graphics cards are another issues entirely though :-/  (Binary only
drivers, bleh!)  With the forcedeth driver I can even use the onboard
network card without messing around with binary drivers.  The only
real gotcha is that a kernel with APIC enabled on an nforce2 board
will result in it randomly crashing.

| Quiet is what I'm after. I can't really find anyone with a Shuttle XPC to
| give me a noise comparison.

I've heard that Shuttles are (or at least used to be) relatively noisy
as they have small fans which must spin quickly to move a decent
amount of air.  Hazy on the details though.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/  <-- this site, in particular the
forums thereof, would be a good place to look for/ask this kind of question

Cameron.