[plug] Open Source Software (OSS) - Independent study to review the ATO’s approach

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Mar 17 19:18:37 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 17:59, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> Sorry if this is old news, but:
>
> http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.asp?doc=/content/42822.htm
>
> In the light of which it is interesting to read on this page:
>
> http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/41612.htm

That link should actually be :-

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/38760.htm

> (if you can - it's down at the moment, so I'm going from memory here)
> something to the effect that "Mozilla is an open source Web browser,
> therefore it is highly unlikely that it will ever be supported".  This
> sentence seems to have the same logic as "The Pope is Catholic,
> therefore you should always wear red underwear under your raincoat".

You are pretty close. It actually reads :-

"Please note that Mozilla is only able to be used if certain system
requirements are met. However, Mozilla is an open source application and
the chance of it being supported is unlikely."

and lower down :-

"Your operating system must be either:

      * Windows 98, or ME
      * Windows NT, 2000 or XP, or
      * Macintosh.

If your browser or operating system does not comply with these
specifications, please complete a paper version of the application. A
paper version of the application is available below."

It is an interesting scenario that is part of a large organisation being
open to the ideas of OSS and another part being adamantly against it.
Boy would I like to be a fly on the wall when it all gets thrashed out.
Pity that this is a typical example of bureaucracy dragging its feet.

Michael Hunt

P.S. I wonder how much Gartner is getting for its 'independent study'.
It is interesting to see the following :-

'This report does not aim to analyse in detail all existing ATO
technical platforms and identify potential free or cheap alternatives.
Rather it aims to identify broad opportunities in this context that may
bear further investigation and analysis.'

Which I take as consultancy speak for :-

"I'd love to continue having this discussion with you and I would
happily do so but in order to take it further than what I have given you
so far I will need some more money. After all I have a wife and kids to
provide for.' [1]

[1] Currently holidaying in the Greek islands on a private yacht.