[plug] Motherboard/cpu suggestions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Mar 18 12:25:35 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 11:09, Adam Ashley wrote:
> actually you dont need anywhere near that grunt, not to mention your
> going to have a hard time cooling it adequately yet still quiet enough
> not to interfer with the sound. I use a mini-itx M10000 board as my
> htpc. does dvd and divx just fine, all it has plugged in is the dvd
> drive, boots over the network from my file server.

I'm surprised to hear that. My 1.5GHZ Athlon (with _fast_ video) often
hits 50% CPU usage when running tvtime - I'd be impressed to see a C3
handle it at all.

I suppose it could be driver-related (I use a saa7134 based card), or
perhaps some sort of timing loop tvtime is doing, but it still seems
odd.

Craig Ringer