[plug] Firewall on gateway

Rennie renene at barekoala.net
Fri Mar 19 14:09:43 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 12:47, Rennie Barnett wrote:
>

>>Anyhow I've been able to get Gatekeeper
>>

>Is that the hostname of your firewall?

That is the firewall

>>to firewall everything except SSH
>>

>Do you mean that it blocks all incoming new connections except for port
>22 (ssh)? Or something else?

The gateway machine, "Gatekeeper", blocks all new incoming connections
except for port 80

>>and
>>keep on NATing but I seem to be getting significant traffic on unusual ports
>>like 2206 & 3541 etc..
>>

>Incoming hits to ports on the firewall, or outgoing NATed traffic?

I'm not 100% but it seems to be outgoing NATed traffic, or related
incoming?? I'm talking volumes like 5,152,332 "In", 1,558,253 "Out" on
port 2257 ???!?

I get this info from an app called darkstat
(http://dmr.ath.cx/net/darkstat/) which is installed on Gatekeeper.

Amongst other things it produces a list of "ports" with the volume of
traffic In & Out for each of them.

I started darkstat with the following command "darkstat -i ppp0 &", if I
remember rightly, so I'm assuming that it should be giving only
information relative to ppp0, although one of the internal network hosts
(192.168.0.152) is showing up on the "hosts" list, so I'm not quite
clear as to what the info actually means.