[plug] mandrake to debian

lanes at iinet.net.au lanes at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 20 11:34:11 WST 2004

Hello Peoples,

I have decided that i dont like mandrake on my laptop which i run mainly
for gnome and gnomely type apps. As such i am going to put debian on it as
that is what i use on my servers and it simply makes sense to me.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on moving across. Normally i would
just format and start from scratch but i am now getting into this whole
linux on the desktop thing and having configuration files for my apps
(xchat, customised enviroment, etc) home dirs and such. Can i simply copy
across my . files from the home dirs or what would people suggest in a painless as possible
transition.

I currently have the normal swap boot root and home partitions.

Greg