[plug] kernel 2.6.4

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Mar 22 09:14:46 WST 2004

Hi folks,

In my time I've compiled a few kernels and I'm not afraid to now,
however I feel completely overwhelmed by the number of options - and
even though there is help, often it's so terse that the information
might as well have been removed.

I've just downloaded kernel-source-2.6.4 from a debian mirror and I'm
going through a HowTo - just to make sure I don't miss anything - and
I'm at the point of running make gconfig.

Options available to me sometimes are ticked and stay that way, even if
the instructions tell me that the default is off.

Where o where do I find a place that walks me through *all* the options
so I can say, "Yes, that is what I want - and I understand what the
implications will be..."

I'm not afraid of reading, but reading the source seems a little
over-kill just to compile a kernel IMHO.

I'd just like my first 2.6.x kernel experience to be a positive one...

FYI, I'm using the following docs as reference - and I will likely need
to "fix" VMware so it still works:

      * <http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm>
      * <http://kerneltrap.org/note/view/799>
      * <http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html> (for VMware)
      * <http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/readme.txt> (for VMware)

These documents just gloss over the make config stage altogether...

Tah muchly,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..