[plug] kernels and Debain versions

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Mar 22 16:04:05 WST 2004

Sham Chukoury wrote:

| Of course, this doesn't apply to major kernel version
| changes. :) When moving from 2.4.23 to 2.6.0, I didn't load my 2.4.23
| config file into the 2.6.0 menuconfig, since I suspected the config
| system had undergone major changes since 2.4.*. So I did the 2.6.0
| config from scratch, with the 2.4.23 config loaded in a separate
| (2.4.23) menuconfig in another term - for reference. :P

I believe that 2.6 does actually attempt to convert from 2.4 config
files to 2.6 ones.  I'm pretty sure that it also attempts to locate
the config from the currently running kernel as a base.

| > Take a look at the new Sarge beta 3 installer !!  What a mess... same
| > old same old and even MORE involved !!
| > To partition a hard drive into 10 partitions you need to go through
| > some 20 - 30 screens !!

Joey Hess posted a pretty scathing criticism of the usability of the
new partitioner to the debian-boot list a few weeks ago.  That said,
there's been a /lot/ of emphasis on cutting down on the number of
keystrokes required to install Debian.  I read a comment a while ago
saying that there were less than a dozen screens involved in the
installation, and most of them involved accepting the defaults.
However, I haven't had the time to play with it myself lately so I
don't really know what it's like :-)

Also, not to imply that your criticism isn't valid, why on Earth are
you partitioning your drive into 10 partitions!?

Cameron.