[plug] Newbie Night

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Mon Mar 22 18:29:24 WST 2004

I think this is a valuable suggestion. IMO, I think Xandros might be a
good compromise distro because it's Debian based (so PLUG crew can
relate to it ;) and it's - allegedly - good for 'doze refugees on the
desktop side of things.

I'd be one to put my hand up to help too.....when I don't have to work
evenings anymore.... :(   So I'll shut up now...

/sol

> Hi folks,
>
> Seeing that I'm in Tasmania and (most if not all of) you are not,
> perhaps it is presumptuous of me to suggest the idea of running a
> regular newbie night, but I'm going to anyway...
>
> <http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/03/15/2223237>
>
> There is another aspect to this, and that is the trip I'm on around the
> country...
>
> Let me elaborate.
>
> This trip is about two things, a change of life-style and an attempt at
> returning some of the gifts I've been given thanks to mailing lists like
> this one - and countless other experiences since I came on-line in 1990.
>
> I have during this trip spent a week in a rural primary school building
> their school web-site (with the whole school - all 24 students from year
> 1 to year 7). According to both staff and students it was a roaring
> success.
>
> Also, I've run a community computer fix-it day, which was not as
> successful as I'd like to have seen, but the idea was: "Bring your
> computer in and we'll fix it."
>
> Now, a newbie night that comes to a local community, that is something I
> can do with what I have in the back of my van.
>
> So...
>
> Firstly, this thread is an attempt at sparking discussion about the
> process of running a newbie night, perhaps even run a few in Perth, then
> find a way to "streamline" the process and run regular ones on the road.
>
>         What kind of things would you show?
>         What would you leave out?
>         What is a really *wow* kind of demo?
>         What distribution would you show and Why?
>
> Remember, I'm attempting to spark discussion, so, any controversial
> contributions are welcome, but keeping it to the topic would be
> appreciated...
>

> Onno Benschop
>
> Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
> --
> ()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
> --- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..
>
> Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony
Central, Dalcon