[plug] kernel programming

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 25 14:01:37 WST 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 13:47, Parag Nemade wrote:
> hello,
>     Let me explain what i want to include in kernel
> source.
> i am writing a programs in a kernel 2.4 on redhat
> linux 9 for the string value to be shared by two
> adjecent servers in organisation that does
> 1) first sends a string to other with new string and
> old string of other server.
> 2) second server checks that concatenated string and
> extract old one and check old with its own string if
> it is same installs new in second server that came
> from first server
> 3) same thing happens at first server.
> that means i am doing that like first server installs
> a string value for second ans viceversa.
> so to do this i require to store eachothers string
> value in a file. Cause i dont know how to do it?
> so can any one help me how can i achieve this in
> kernel? Cause this procedure shoule be continuing
> periodically and automatically by kernel.

You don't need the _kernel_ to do that.
You shouldn't need to use the kernel to do that.

Unless you're doing something like implementing a network
filesystem, you probably shouldn't even try to do that sort of
thing.

Conducting sufficient integrity checking on the data passed directly
between kernels over a network is a very difficult task that should
not be attempted by a novice. You have the potential of opening up
significant cans of worms on the security and kernel integrity side.

Use the existing network facilities (sockets) and UDP/TCP for
communications, running user-level daemons to transfer the data
securely between systems.

If you can tell us what is the use of the "string" and hint at how
it's derived, then we can probably point you at prior work that
already does most of what you _need_ to do. From your description,
it doesn't look like it needs any kernel programming at all; not
even a device driver.