[plug] GNOME 2.4 for RH8

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Mar 25 17:30:59 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 14:13, Michael Hunt wrote:

> >From what I have seen of Konstruct it looks very similar to GARNOME. The
> only differences appear to be the issue with the dotfiles you were
> talking about (GARNOME wouldn't be any help here).

The dotfiles trick is a general KDE feature, not specific to Konstruct.
It still rocks, though :-)

I still want to be able to
	export USER_PREFS_BASE=${HOME}/.settings
and have _all_ apps use that, but that's really just wishful thinking.

As for GARNOME, I've checked it out, but it only seems to want to build
the latest GNOME 2.5 snapshots. It was also a right pain to get some
things to build, even on my FC1 system @home. Perhaps there's something
I've missed.

Konstruct impressed me with it's simplicity, the existance of useful
documentation, and it's flexibilty.

> Evo 1.5 is not what I
> would call really stable at the moment and I probably wouldn't be toying
> about with it in a production environment.

I realise; that's why I'm not too fussed about integration with it right
now.

> The one thing I really like is that you can run your distro's version of
> the gnome and play around with an updated version (available in either
> stable or bleeding edge versions) with out affecting your installed
> version.

Not only updated, but non-butchered as well.

Craig Ringer