[plug] kernel programming

Mark Haselden levsky at staff.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 25 21:03:15 WST 2004

Parag Nemade wrote:

> hello,
>         Actually i want to modify the network protocol
> stack. For that thing i need to modify kernel source.
> the string is nothing but random string generated on
> basis of current time and exchange d between two
> adjecent router servers. it is a part of what i am
> actually want to modify network protocol stack.i want
> to modify packets data by adding my own derived string
> and send it to other router for checking integrity of
> it.

Hi Parag,

I'm not sure you're being terribly clear on why you need to
define a new network/transport layer protocol just to be able to share
these string values between two servers?  Couldn't you just define an
application layer protocol over one of the existing transport layer
protocols (eg TCP/UDP) and do it all in userspace?

Or is the intent to define some new kind of authenticated lower
level protocol?  If so, you might find that there's prior art that
you can rely on.

If you're able to give us an overall conceptual picture of what
you're ultimately trying to achieve, I'm sure some of the guys here
will be able to see a neat way of doing it.

Cheers

Mark.