[plug] Samba group awarness

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Fri Mar 26 09:18:56 WST 2004

mostly single sign-on has been the biggest thing for us. all the windows
servers authenticate against the samba server which goes against the
ldap. The samba server also shares out home dirs and the main shared
data dir. All the linux servers are setup to use LDAP for authentication
and automount configuration, so again you get your home dir and access
to the main shared data dir. Combine this with mod_auth_ldap in apache2
and we get the single login extended to the web based network management
software, the subversion server, stuff like that.

Also if your using samba 3 dont use the smbpasswd file, switch to the
trivialdb password backend. It can handle all the extra stuff that
smbpasswd cant and ldap can without any hassle.

Adam