[plug] stripping potentially nasty attachments

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Mar 26 22:57:24 WST 2004

Hi folks

I'm currently using MimeDefang to strip suspect or potentially risky
attachments (.pif, .exe, .scr, .vbs, etc etc etc) from email before it
hits the virus scanner. I'm interested in finding a way to extend that
so that MimeDefang can quarantine messages that have zipped attachments
if the zip file contains suspect filenames. I'd like to kill as many
possibly dodgy files as possible without needing the virus scanner,
given the rapidly "mutating" viri we're getting these days.

A quick google search turned up nothing, nor did a look at the
MimeDefang docs (what of them exists). I didn't find a simple method of
doing this. So ... is anyone on PLUG currently doing something like
this, and if so - any pointers/tips?

Suggestions appreciated. I'll follow up here if I find a solution later.

Craig Ringer