[plug] "Ghosting" drives

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Sat Mar 27 14:31:41 WST 2004

smclevie at ozemail.com.au wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>How does one copy an ext3 drive to another drive which has a different partitioning structure?
>
>eg. Disk 1 has 5 partitions
>
>/, /swap, /usr, /home and /var
>
>Disk 2 has 7 partitions
>
>/, /swap, /usr, /var, /var/www, /home and /usr/local.
>
>I want to transfer all info to Disk 2 and then run from Disk 2 and give back Disk 1 to its owner.
>
>All partitions on all disks are ext3.  There are no MSDos partitions in sight!  Its all Linux.
>
>I run Grub by preference.
>
>How do I go about it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve.
>

>This message was sent through MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au

Get a list of the partition designations - eg: /dev/hdb1, /dev/hdb2 and
partition types.

One by one, mount each one on /mnt. Copy the corresponding partition
over with cp -a /<choose a partiton name> /mnt

Be aware of duplication of partitions - eg /, /swap /usr /var /var/www.
Remove duplicates with *eg* rm -rf /var/www

Build a /etc/fstab to suit. Maybe mod the one from disk1.

Good luck..

Garry