[plug] Open GL / SDL / Debian Problem

Simon N newtons at iinet.net
Sat Mar 27 15:30:57 WST 2004

Hi Plug,

Hopefully someone can help me with this, its driving me insane.

Background :

Debian unstable on both my desktop and laptop. I've got the list of
packages installed as close as possible. Version of gcc is the same on
both ( gcc version 3.3.3 (Debian 20040314) )

Desktop:
P4 2.8, Geforce II

Laptop
Pentium M 1.4, GeForce Ti 4200

glxgears, chromium and tux racer work fine on both systems.

Now for the problem :

I'm trying out the NeHe tutorials at  http://nehe.gamedev.net/ . When I
compile the code on the laptop it works fine. When I try it on the
desktop however the code compiles fine, but when run, it displays the
last thing that openGL rendered to the screen (as if the framebuffer
wasn't cleared) . I can tell the program is still running as it prints
out the frame rate, yet the window doesn't get updated.

The binaries from the laptop work fine on the desktop, so I'm thinking
the problem is occuring at compile time (even though there aren't any
errors). The size of the binarie produced from desktop pc is also a lot
bigger than the (working) laptop ones.

-rwxr-xr-x    1 simon    simon      329062 Mar 18 21:49 lesson04
-rwxr-xr-x    1 simon    simon       16693 Mar 14 12:59 lesson04.good

When I installed debian on the laptop I had the same problem, As it was
one of the first things I tried to get working, I went on installing
other packages and somewhere along the line it just started working.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers,

Simon N