Plural pedantry (was Re: [plug] stripping potentially nasty attachments)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Mar 28 11:22:11 WST 2004

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, James Devenish wrote:

> In message <20040327091459.GC7528 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
> on Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 05:14:59PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > Heard someone the other day talking about "a minima".  Urgh!
>
> "A phenomena" and "a bacteria" are particularly popular on...TV (gasp).
> My personal favourite is a little slip-of-the-tongue that mathematicians
> and engineers might recognise: "a matricie" ;-) Another cringeworthy
> example is RedHat's "this errata".
>
> > Though I suppose it's the same as what's happened to datum/data.
>
> I love how a "datum" is supposed to be superseded by "data point".
>
> PS. Don't forget our little problem with 'their'.

Speaking of what is said on TV, and, as you mention "their", one thing
that is amazing, and shows a general lacking in education (did any of
these people get through primary school, or, have primary schools
just been a waste of time, here?), is the abuse of the word "is"; "There
is too many of them"..."There is five of them"....etc. Generally, in the
media, whether the speaker is a journalist or a politician, where the
case is plural, the word "is", is used. It is rare, that the word "is",
is limited to singularity

Apparently, in Australian schools (the problem is prevalent, through
most sections of society, not just uneducated journalists or
uneducated politicians), students are not taught that the word "is", is
singular", and, the word "are", is the plural equivalent.

But, then, maori is more fun, as, in maori, there are three cases -
singular, dual, and plural; eg, koe - you, singular, korua - you (for
you two people), and, koutou - you, plural. And, then, to make it even
more complicated, there is another form, for plural, many (like a crowd)
- for example, the greeting to a crowd of people; "Tena koutou, tena
koutou, tena koutou, katoa" - "Greetings to you (plural), greetings to
you (plural), greetings to you (plural), all".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."