[plug] IP accounting

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 29 20:47:39 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 20:24, John Breen wrote:

> ok, fine BUT, i use an isp which gives free and non-free traffic where free
> is anything on the isp's local network
> (that bit's easy), or anything on the WAIX.

Identifying what IPs are peering to WAIX at any point in time is not
easy, unfortunately. Especially as you may encounter asymmetric routing,
so that traffic goes to the host over WAIX and returns over a different
peering point. Planetmirror was in the habit of doing that for a while.

I don't know how to discover accurate routing information. Perhaps it
can be obtained using BGP4 - can someone with a clue about routing
protocols offer suggestions?

/if/ you can discover what IPs are peering on WAIX in both directions at
any point in time, you should be able to have a script that reads your
packet counters on the iptables rules, and another one that periodically
regenerates them with new routing information.

If you find a solid solution to this, I'd be interested in hearing about
it. Even if you find out how to read BGP4 info on WAIA peering, I'd love
to know the details. I've been playing with Quagga a bit lately, but
have been reluctant to mess with BGP4 until I understand it better. I
also have the nasty feeling I need an ASN to use it at all (?), putting
it out of my reach.

Craig Ringer