[plug] Still not able to route to adsl

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Sat May 1 18:24:47 WST 2004

On Sat, 1 May 2004, quoth bob:

> > Does the ADSL router have a route to 192.168.0.0/24 via the debian
> > gateway?
>
> Yes. 192.168.0.0/24  gw "Ip Ethernet 0" which is the LAN side of the device.

Unless I'm mistaken, "Ip Ethernet 0" will cause the gateway to be the ADSL
router's IP address, not the Debian box's IP address

I don't have a Netcomm 1300 handy to check the config page, but if it
looks anything like this:
http://help.powerup.com.au/adsl/nb1300/nb1300_10.png

then I would fill out the "Route configuration" with "Gateway" set to
"Specify IP" -> IP of Debian box (192.168.1.x)

Again, having a static IP on the Debian box is essential, otherwise you
don't know where to point the route.

> > Alternatively, does the debian gateway masquerade (NAT) packets from
> > 192.168.0.0/24 so the ADSL gateway sees them as 192.168.1.x packets?
>
> That one is interesting as I have had conflicting replies to that Q when I
> put it to the gateway. Is there a definitive way of finding out ?

You either add a route for the 192.168.0.x network to the ADSL router, or
you Masquerade on the Debian box. Up to you.

> Not sure about SNAT... is there an easy way to check this?

Sorry, I used SNAT (Source NAT) as another word for Masquerade.  I didn't
mean to confuse.

> May not be as simple as [1], it had layers upon layers of changes made to
> the routing. More a straw that broke the camels back perhaps. I did notice
> that responses to route and route -n were becoming slow.

You should not be able to kill your kernel by simply making routing
changes, however there are and always will be kernel bugs so I guess you
just triggered one.. :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you are able to reproduce it -
in which case file a bug report.

Regards,

 - Matt