[plug] Still not able to route to adsl

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun May 2 14:53:57 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

| Are we able to put this thread to bed, soon? I'm worried that you might
| not be getting help because people will be ignoring the rambling nature
| of this situation.

I suspect that much of the problem is that the router causing problems
is some peculiar hardware router beast and is Not Linux.  I second the
suggestion to set it to a simple bridge and run PPP on the Linux box -
then at least it would be something familiar to more of us :-)

| Now, I am not a networking expert, but I can't really see why this
| situation is being problematic. Could one of the experts with PPP
| experience please let us know whether `netstat -r` should show the
| showing something like the following in a functional situation
| (assuming PPP was being used):
|
| Kernel IP routing table
| Destination   Gateway       Genmask         Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
| 192.168.0.0   *             255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth0
| 192.168.1.0   *             255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth1
| 203.69.131.96 *             255.255.255.255 UH    0      0       0 ppp0
| default       203.69.131.96 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0       0 ppp0

Yes, that's essentially what I see with a ppp connection.

| Bob: is this what your routing table /used/ to look like? If not, it's
| my fault for guessing wrongly.

However, the routing tables that we've been talking about are the ones
on the hardware router which seem to be just slightly weird compared
to what normal Linux ones look like.

Cameron.