[plug] Ethereal and network monitoring

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun May 2 22:12:06 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:38, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
>
> | The problem was that I have all switches so the only packets from
> | the phone I could get were broadcast.
> |
> | Does anyone know where one can still buy a hub these days or know of
> | another method of monitoring it?
>
> Try ettercap.  It will attempt to overload the switch with fake MAC
> addresses so it turns into a hub.  It should work on most cheap
> unmanaged switches; if you have a fancier managed switch that will
> only accept certain MAC addresses on certain ports, you should also
> have some way of configuring the switch to send all traffic to a
> certain port (assuming, of course, that it's your switch!).
>
> Cameron.

Thanks Cameron,

Yeah all the equipment is mine. I assume to clear the switches ARP cache
(if I'm using the right term) after flooding it I just power-cycle it.

I'll let you know how I go. My IP phone seems to be working fine right
now but I will take a look at it anyway so I will know what to do the
next time I need to check it out.
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.