[plug] iBook question

Matthew Prouse mousematt at webace.com.au
Tue May 4 21:51:31 WST 2004

I just found a toilet seat :) I mean an Apple iBook whilst cleaning out a
cupboard at work. I blew the dust off it and turned it on: it works... Boss
gave it to me.... happy birthday!

It is an Apple G3 iBook, 366Mhz with 192MB of RAM. It's running OS 9.1 -
although I found a copy of OS X 10.2 OEM in the same cupboard (we once had
Mac laptops for graphics/media work). It claims it will install on this
machine - and I will probably give it a try.

Are there any bad apples here? Did I just get handed a lemon or a toilet seat?
At first glance its perfect for my other life as an economics student at
Murdoch. My question is: does anyone who has, or did have, one run Linux on
them at all?

I asked at Linuxcult and they said Yellowdog. I asked at MandrakeUsers and
MandrakeClub and they've suggested Gentoo and not Mandrake 9.1 PPC.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with these machines? They look real
spiffy btw :-)

mousematt