[plug] OT - Wireless, again

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed May 5 10:22:03 WST 2004

Personally for business purposes I wouldn't use anything other than Cisco.

I've read of issues with some of the D-Link gear being used in a
permanent setup having issues with locking up and needing to be power
cycled (comments were from someone using the WA Freenet with D-Link gear).

You need to look at it from a business point of view, price is only one
small aspect of the equation.  You have to look at support, reliability,
performance and compatibility of the equipment.  The way I see it when
it comes to spending money, is that you either do something properly...
or you don't do it at all.  Doing a half-baked version of something
might save you money upfront, but it won't in the long run thats for sure.

I wouldn't even present a "cheap" option to them at all.  Because at the
end of the day, even if you explain that something is "cheaper" and "not
as good an option" etc and that you should go for the more expensive
option and they opt for the cheap option and it doesn't work properly...
they will lay the blame on you.

/ Ben