[plug] Still not able to route to adsl

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Thu May 6 00:43:18 WST 2004

On 2/05/2004 at 3:06 PM bob wrote:

>On Sunday 02 May 2004 14:37, James Devenish wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are we able to put this thread to bed, soon?
>
>I'm willing to kiss it good night right now (if I can get a working ADSL
>out
>of it :).
>
>> I'm worried that you might
>> not be getting help because people will be ignoring the rambling nature
>> of this situation. I have been hoping that one of the well-known posters
>> would step in a set the record straight, but only Matt has stepped
>> forward so far. I'm a bit concerned by the thread because, to me, it
>> looks like a 'garden-variety' situation that is probably very familiar
>> to several of the prominent people on this list, and presumably others
>> too.
>>
>> Now, would I be correct is saying that this summarises your situation:
>> >   _________________Host___________________
>> >
>> >  eth1              eth0                 ppp0
>> > 192.168.1.2     192.168.0.1        203.59.131.96
>> >
>> >   |              ____|____               |
>> >   |              |   |   |             World
>> >
>> > 192.168.1.1    Host Host Host
>> > ADSL (NB1300+4)
>> > a.b.c.d
>> >
>> > World

I think you guys are trying to make the issue more complex than it really
is.

The basic problem, as I see it, is you need two default routes to the
outside
world, but only want to use one at a time. In this case you set the first
route
as the primary route being the ADSL and set the PPP default route when you
bring up PPP. If you use 'ip-up' 'ip-down' scripts to do this you can also
set to
DNS resolution to follow the default route.

Regards

Mark