[plug] Knoppix whacks an XP partition :(

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu May 6 08:56:07 WST 2004

I've seen this happen before too.

The first thing I'd check is lilo.conf. Mine is setup as follows:

<cut down to the nitty gritty ...>

other=/dev/hda1
  label="WindowsXP"

Then somehow in a windows machine (you may need to remove the hdd and
mount it to another windows box to do this):

Check boot.ini ->

in a dos prompt go:

attrib c:\boot.ini -s -h -r

then edit the file in notepad or dos editor

make sure the default=multi(0).... line is hunky dory

then set it back

attrib c:\boot.ini +s +h +r

Then restart and try it from lilo ;)

good luck,