[plug] windows - a rant

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Fri May 7 23:08:25 WST 2004

<snip>

> Now you can use a Linux box as a desktop machine and you can
> use a windows box as a server... but you will find that you
> will be more successful having a Linux box as a desktop OS
> than Windows box as a server...
>
> All my servers are Linux based as I have no faith in
> Microsoft Servers. For desktop machines, Win2K is
> sufficient... until it blue screens :)

<snip>

While I love Linux, I work with Windows all day, and there are times I wish
Linux could do the things Windows.

Active Directory and profiles are nowhere even close on Linux. Take a school
environment, and add 1500 students that move around all the time, require
software to be there waiting for them when they enter the class room, and
are generally little brats. Linux+LDAP+Kerberos+NFS+Samba+rsync+..+..+..
can't do this kind of stuff easily. Just take software installation by group
policy, user profile replication across WANs, processor affinity, and other
"enterprise" stuff.
There's a lot of spiffy stuff that Linux is playing catchup on, while
Microsoft adds features every version.

This is why I'm interested in eDirectory on Suse.

I'm still hoping that Linux gets a better foothold in the medium to large
business space....

Craig F.