[plug] windows - a rant

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Sat May 8 10:48:51 WST 2004

Craig Foster wrote:

>Active Directory and profiles are nowhere even close on Linux. Take a school
>environment...

I do on-site work for a school and they use a Linux server for their
students currently and they are going to be replacing it with a new
server that is also going to be running Linux.

The attitude they have in regards to it, is that they don't want
anything overly complex, their setup is simple, but still completely
effective for what they do.  Basically they don't want to be touching
the server for anything more than adding/removing users and password
changes.  I don't have an overly complex setup on my work's Samba file
server machine either, I hardly touch anything on that machine and it
hums along nicely and does everything I need it to.  It currently has an
uptime of 240+ days.

Personally I'm of the KISS way of thinking, I don't see a reason to make
things more complex just because you can.

/ Ben