[plug] file transfer performance linux/windows and filezilla

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 11 12:43:22 WST 2004

Dear PLUG list members,

Am I expecting too much "performance" from the ssh layer during secure file
transfers?   To clarify...

Linux (Debian GNU/Linux woody) transferring large files to/from Windows
machines (NT4WS) over a 100Mb/s utp network with FileZilla as the Windows
client.   Protocol is ssh(2).   Performance is woeful - like about 50Kb/s
rising to 100Kb/s occasionally.   If I use ftp rather than ssh as the
protocol, I get 7+ MBytes/sec so it looks like the network infrastructure
is happy.

NICs set to force 100Mb/s full duplex.   D-Link non-managed 10/100 switch
(tried both 16-port and 5-port devices) both connected to the site LAN and
disconnected from the site LAN.   MTUs set to 1500, sane-looking send/recv
windows, buffer sizes, etc, etc.   FileZilla set to non- or compressed mode
makes no difference to transfer performance.

Linux -> linux using scp gives 10MByte/S so I assume there is some overhead
in the ssh implementation.   Windows -> windows using only tcp/ip protocol
stack and mapped drives gives probably close to wire speed.   On the
windows side a netstat -e shows nothing obvious.   On the linux side,
ifconfig likewise shows nothing apparently amiss.   Also "top" shows the
linux boxes are not even thinking about raising a sweat.   Process ssh is
taking maybe 9% cpu but these are fairly grunty machines.

So... what level of performance (or performance hit) should I expect with
ssh for secure transfers?   And importantly, are there any tuning
parameters that can allow me to continue to use ssh without having my
people drink lots of coffee waiting for their files to up/down load?   For
example the ssh (login) client on Linux will accept a -c parameter to
define which cypher is being used.   By default this seems to be
3des.   Blowfish is claimed to be a faster algorithm but I see no way (in
FileZilla at least, or the associated PuTTY) of forcing a particular
cypher.  In PuTTY on a session-by-session basis the preferred encryption
algorithm can be set, but this doesn't seem to carry over to FileZilla.

TIA,
Denis