[plug] file transfer performance linux/windows and filezilla

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 11 13:17:42 WST 2004

At 12:51 11/05/2004 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>How much processor load on the send side?
>
>Ive seen ssh session run dismally slow when run with the -C
>(compression) option because the cpu load was very high.
>
>It did speed up modem transfers slightly, but really kneecapped normal
>lan sessions.

Thanks, Bill.

I tried it both ways (with- and without compression) but no significant
difference.   The cpu load is around 9% for ssh on the send side (Linux ->
Windows) on a dual 2.8GHz Xeon machine with 5 GB RAM and one logged-in
user.   No other significant processes running.   I'm beginning to suspect
that the problem might be on the Windows side, since Win would have the
task of decrypting the incoming traffic.

Cheers,
Denis