[plug] file transfer performance linux/windows and filezilla

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 11 13:24:22 WST 2004

At 13:12 11/05/2004 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>Denis Brown wrote:
>
>>Am I expecting too much "performance" from the ssh layer during secure
>>file transfers?   To clarify...
>
>Others have mentioned cyphers and compression. I thought I'd weigh in with
>some real numbers about their effects:

<snip interesting stuff>

>My .ssh/config contains, among a lot of other things:
>
>   Cipher blowfish
>   Ciphers
> blowfish-cbc,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc

Hmmm... no evidence of a config file in my .ssh directory.   Will dig a bit
deeper later.   Thanks for the tip.

<snip>

Also - do you need to force the NICs to full duplex? It might be an
interesting experiment to leave them on auto-negotiation and see what
happens. I've seen really weird problems caused by forced full duplex
occasionally.

They were originally auto speed, auto plex (on the Windows side) and I
forced them to 100 / full without effect.   Worth changing them back
though.   Did not touch the Linux side - ethtool reports sane values anyway.

Cheers,
Denis